Tuesday, July 7, 2009

A love letter to my Mother


My mom surprised me at work today with these pretty blue hydrangeas, two vegetable tamales and a pineapple popsicle. What is sweeter than that?

My mom leaves tomorrow. She’s been here for a month and it’s been a really good time. Lots of fun, lots of doing New Orleansy things, a few times when our lil’ 4-room shotgun home and 3 girls + puppy was just way too small, some wonderful conversations and a whole lot of love.

My mom is just wonderful. Full of joy, always up for a good time, and capable of making even a midnight run to Circle K completely magical. She is a puppy whisperer and has Tulip completely under her spell. What will she do without her Goddess to keep her in line???

I know you believe in me ten thousand percent and that knowledge means the world to me. I’m so grateful you are always there for me, even when I exhaust you, even after a fight, especially after a fight. I needed this time with you, to feel loved and daughterly again. I especially needed it on the days when I was particularly beastly. Your patience with me is steadfast, and for that I am so grateful. I know I am not always a picnic to be around, and thank you for not letting me push you away. Thank you for being strong when I need strength. Thank you for listening and talking and helping me see and learn and grow and become stronger.

I love the curly curly curlicue hair you gave me, the love of pink flowers you gave me, the midnight owl tendencies you gave me. I am so proud of the person you are, the artist you are, the kindest most loving most giving best teacher most amazing woman that you are.

I love you!

1 comment:

Mari said...

Oh my gosh Emily--thank you. I am really not even a pinch of the goodness you have written but I thank you. I, too, loved the time we had together; a whole month--it was amazing! I love, love, love you!