Monday, July 6, 2009

July 3 + 4


Last year on July 3 I started my day at the South Street Seaport with friends, admiring the lovely and artistic waterfalls that bedazzled the Brooklyn Bridge. My favorite four year old friend gifted me a Swedish Fish and a kiss and told me everything would be ok. I didn’t really believe him. I spent the afternoon hiding in my office, crying. I made a last-minute decision to fly home for the holiday weekend. I was crumbling, and so very certain I was going to die of heartbreak.

Last year on July 4 I woke up and within an hour my life had turned upside down. I made the hardest decision of my life, and followed it with the decision to leave New York. What a one-two punch to myself. Plans were dismantled and new, emergency, contingency plans put in place.

This year on July 3 I took my puppy to play in the Mississippi River and went to the {amazing} Beyonce concert.

This year on July 4 I baked a cake and decorated it with berries and cream and made it look like our lovely American flag. I went to the river with a friend and watched the glorious fireworks. We wandered around the French Quarter afterwards and as I walked I thought about things. Everything.

More than once I’ve cried, remembering. More than once I wanted to call and see how things are. More than once, I can’t believe a year has passed. This was a rough weekend, to say the least, but the days come and go and we get through it. And more than once, I’m so grateful for loving family and friends. I never expected that this is where I would be in July 2009. But I am happy and working hard and still doing my best to keep moving forward every day. I wish you the very best.

No comments: