Thursday, August 18, 2011

Stop being afraid to speak your mind. But consider why & to whom you speak, & consider her journey as well.

I did something today that I've never done before.  I left a comment on someone's blog post that was critical.  I feel badly for being negative to someone, & if I hurt this person's feelings.   This person responded with a post, which surprised me, but not surprisingly, it said exactly what I expected it would say.  She's right, there are plenty of other blogs that I can read & find more inspiring.  I hope she feels better for posting and defending herself. 
It didn't start out as a larger life lesson experience, but the more I thought about it, the larger it became.  For me, I spoke up when I disagreed with something.  It's the first time I've ever done that.  I wasn't unkind, rude, or mean, I just simply stated a disagreement.  The other day a friend & I were discussing the idea of selfishness vs. selflessness.  I realize that for the last 5+ years I have not spoken up for myself, said "no, please pay attention to me", or even disagreed with anyone.  I wasn't searching for someone or something to disagree with.  I didn't much consider sending the comment.  Perhaps it was rash.  Testing boundaries is an important part of finding said boundary.  I despise being the method through which other people are refined, or have a growing experience.  I feel badly that this person served that purpose for me, and I apologize.  I learned 2 important lessons today.  Stop being afraid to speak your mind.  But consider why & to whom you speak, & consider her journey as well.

No comments: