Friday, June 13, 2008

See, guys, sometimes holding on to things is totally worth it

Yesterday I wore an exceptionally great outfit: khaki knee length shorts, a crisp white button-up with the sleeves pushed up, and gold high heel sandals. I felt oh-so-summery.

Funny thing about those shoes. I bought them almost exactly two years ago this week. Shortly after the purchase (which I was so excited about) I took a nasty spill down a flight of cement steps in the Prince Street N/R subway station and as a result, had to have a pretty major knee surgery. My leg was locked out for 6 weeks, and I was in physical therapy for over a year. Needless to say, my gorgeous gold sandals never even made it out of the box.

As time passed, I became more and more resolved with wearing flat shoes the rest of my life. I tried to wear the sandals once and made it about three steps before my knee protested vehemently and I was forced to remove them. Even then, I still hung on to this pair of heels. I've made many donations to the Salvation Army over the last two years, and every time I would put them in the pile, and then pull them back out. I just couldn't bring myself to part with them.

Yesterday, I thought to myself (during my quick-as-a-flash dressing session), "Those sandals would look fantastic with this outfit." And I didn't even try them on, or test if I could walk, I just stuffed them in my bag and was out the door. (I commute in flip flops. Even back in the days when I wore heels all day every day, I drew the line at commuting in them.) I am so happy to report that not only were the shoes 1) very comfortable but 2) I can walk in them!! And 3) I could walk blocks in them, not steps.

It was an achievement 2 full years in the making.

No comments: