Saturday, August 16, 2008

Run, Emily, Run!

Have you all been watching the Olympics??  Oh my, it's been so very exciting!  So many wonderful athletes and competitions--and we're only halfway through!  Between the awesome Michael Phelps and Nastia Liukin, Shawn Johnson, Dara Torres, both the men's and women's gymnastic teams, Yung Wei, Laure Manadau and everyone else, it's been simply amazing.

I always, always wanted to be an Olympian.  (Never mind that my skill set is not in volleyball, figure skating or gymnastics.)  And so, in the spirit of patriotism and Olympic fever, I did something great.  I ran a 5K. 

To some of you, this may seem like a trifling little matter.  But to me, it was everything.  I never ran track in high school (like my little sis, a runner extraordinaire) nor have I run marathons (like my dad, whose similarities to KipK are quite remarkable).   No, I have never done anything like this before. 

So I ran and got ready.  Made a delicious pasta dinner for us the night before.  You know, carbo loading.  A very fun part of the race!  And the next morning we woke up with the dawn, pinned on our numbers, and off we went.  Dad and Jess were great running partners, pushed me and worked with me.  We had a grand time.  And now that I'm done, I can say I did it!  I can't wait to do it again next weekend.   

No comments: